Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
About the Program
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps families living on low incomes pay their heating bills in the form of a cash grant. Households in immediate danger of being without heat can also qualify for crisis grants. The cash grant is a one-time payment sent directly to the utility company/fuel provider to be credited on your bill. These grants range from $300 to $1,000 based on household size, income, and fuel type. Remember: This is a grant and does not have to be repaid.
How does LIHEAP work?
LIHEAP offers both cash and crisis grants. Families may apply for:
The cash grant is a one-time payment sent directly to the utility company/fuel provider to be credited on your bill. These grants range from $500 to $1,500 based on household size, income, and fuel type. Remember: This is a grant and does not have to be repaid.
Households experiencing a heating crisis may be eligible for additional benefits through the LIHEAP crisis program. Emergency situations include:
- Broken heating equipment or leaking lines that must be fixed or replaced
- Lack of fuel
- The main heating source or second heating source (a source that is used to operate the main heating source or used if the main heating source is not working) has been completely shut-off
- The danger of being without fuel (less than a 15 day supply)
- The danger of having utility service terminated (you’ve received a notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days)
How do I apply?
There are two ways to apply for LIHEAP:
- Online: Apply for benefits online using COMPASS, the online tool for Pennsylvanians to apply for health and human service programs and manage benefit information.
- On paper: You can download a paper application, print it, fill it out, and return it to your local county assistance office.
After your application is reviewed, you will receive written notice explaining your eligibility and the amount of assistance you will receive. Please allow 30 days for a response.
Who is eligible?
- You must meet income guidelines
- You don’t have to be on public assistance
- You don’t need to have an unpaid heating bills
- You can rent or own your home
Here are the LIHEAP income requirements for 2023-2024
|Household Size||Income Limit|
|For every additional person, add $7,7,10|
More Information & Downloads
Additional Winter Energy Saving Resources and Assistance
For more information on the program and qualifications, visit https://www.dhs.pa.gov/LIHEAP.